TOP 12 "KILLER" HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS

 

 

In just 26 seconds after any exposure to chemicals, they can be found in every organ of the body.

 

 

AIR FRESHENERS

Air fresheners interfere with your ability to smell by releasing a nerve-deadening agent. Known toxic chemicals found in an air freshener: Formaldehyde: Highly toxic, known carcinogen. Phenol: When phenol touches your skin it can cause it to swell, burn, peel and break out in hives. Even a small amount of this commonly known cleaning agent can cause cold sweats, convulsions, circulatory collapse, coma, and even death! At all costs keep this chemical away from you and your loved ones.



AMMONIA


It is a very volatile chemical; it is very damaging to your eyes, respiratory tract and skin.



BLEACH

Strong corrosive, Irritates the skin, eyes and respiratory tract. Vapors can cause fluid in the lungs, which can cause coma or death!

WARNING: Never mix bleach with ammonia or other acids, even vinegar, the mixture causes DEADLY fumes!



CARPET & UPHOLSTERY SHAMPOO

Designed to over power the stain; they accomplish the task of using highly toxic substances.
Some include: Perchloroethylene: Known carcinogen, damages liver, kidney and nervous system.
Ammonium Hydroxide: Corrosive, extremely irritable to eyes, skin and respirator passages.



DISHWASHER DETERGENTS

Most products contain chlorine in a dry form that is highly concentrated; and is the #1 cause of child poisonings (poison control center statistics).



DRAIN CLEANERS

Most drain cleaners contain lye, hydrochloric acid or trichloroethane.
Lye: Caustic burns skin and eyes. If ingested will damage esophagus, stomach.
Hydrochloric acid: Corrosive, eye and skin irritant, damages kidneys, liver and digestive tract.
Trichloroethane: Eye and skin irritant, nervous system depressant; damages liver and kidneys.



FURNITURE POLISH

Petroleum Distillates: Highly flammable, can cause skin and lung cancer. DANGER!
Phenol: (see Air fresheners, Phenol)
Nitrobenzene: This chemical, easily absorbed through skin, is extremely toxic. Known reaction to skin contact can cause skin discoloration, shallow breathing, vomiting and death. Repeated exposure can cause genetic changes, birth defects, cancer, liver, kidney, heart and central nervous system damage. Remember, once this stuff is on your furniture it will continue to give off residual fumes.

 


MOLD & MILDEW CLEANERS

Most of these products are packaged in either a pump or aerosol spray. These are used to spread the product onto the surface with a fine mist. As you begin to work and breathe harder these chemicals go deeply into your lungs. Some of the nasty chemicals that are contained within are as follows:
Sodium hypo chlorite: Corrosive irritates or burns skin and eyes, causes fluid in the lungs, which can lead to coma or death.
Formaldehyde: Highly toxic, known carcinogen. Irritant to eyes, nose, throat and skin. May cause nausea, headaches, nosebleeds, dizziness, memory loss and shortness of breath.

 


OVEN CLEANERS

Next to drain cleaner, oven cleaners are some of the most toxic chemicals in your kitchen. If you read the label carefully you would probably be afraid to even pick up a can, let alone use it. Its lingering affects can sometimes be smelled days or even weeks after use. Not to mention that fine aromatic taste it leaves on your food after it comes out of your newly cleaned oven!
Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide: (Lye): Caustic, strong irritant burns to both skin and eyes. Inhibits reflexes, will cause severe tissue damage if swallowed. These products come in aerosol spray containers. These sprays send thousands of tiny droplets of ammonia or lye, into the air that land on your skin or in your eyes, and of course they are easily inhaled. Oh, and another thing, unless you have six foot arms, I'm not sure how you can clean your oven with these highly toxic substances without putting your head in the oven, so you might as well get a gas mask too!



DISHWASHING LIQUID & ANTIBACTERIAL CLEANERS

The new concern is salmonella. While this can be a potentially deadly bacteria, we think a little common sense would stop it from affecting you or your family. Typical cleaners claiming to inhibit salmonella might be worse than the problem itself!
Triclosan: Absorption through the skin can be tied to liver damage. Some artificial dyes (included in some dishwashing liquids) used in food products are allowed, even though they are a know cancer causing agent. Not to mention the hazard of soaking your hands in these products many times over your lifetime.



LAUNDRY ROOM PRODUCTS

Numerous products are used in our laundry rooms to clean our clothes, but what types of toxins are we using at the same time?
Sodium or calcium hypocrite: Highly corrosive, irritates or burns skin, eyes or respiratory tract. May cause pulmonary edema, vomiting or coma if ingested. Contact with other chemicals may cause chlorine fumes, which may be fatal. Linear alkyate sulfonate: Absorbed through the skin. It has been known to cause liver ailments in test animals at comparatively low dosages. Sodium Tripoluphosphate: Irritates skin and mucous membranes. Causes vomiting. One of the problems with most of these chemicals is that they are absorbed through the skin. As we continue to wash our closes in these products, residue builds up in the fibers. As we wear our clothing these rub against our skin and these noxious chemicals are absorbed through the skin.

 


TOILET BOWL CLEANERS

Hydrochloric acid: Highly corrosive irritant to both skin and eyes. Damages kidneys and liver. Hydrochlorite Bleach: Corrosive, irritates or burns eyes, skin and respiratory tract. May cause fluid in the lungs leading to coma or death. Contact with acids causes fumes, which may be fatal.



United States Government,
Environmental Protection Agency
Office of the Pesticides and Toxic Substances
Washington, DC 20660

 

 

Information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitue for advice from a physician and/or other healthcare professional. The information provided is not to be, and should not be, used to diagnose or treat any medical or health conditions and/or as a prescription for the treatment of any disease, illness or health condition. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.